Thursday, October 4, 2012

Impressionist Hawaii - Day Seven

At the end of our trip,  we had a relaxing breakfast, took a quick view of the University of Hawaii and headed for the airport. We learned from the last flight from San Francisco to Kona, ate a big lunch before boarding and brought a large amount of food with us. While waiting at the gate, Gang and I watched the latest episode of "Voice of China."

Gang spent three hours on the flight watching "Pearl Harbor", a movie produced in 2001 in memory of the deaths 60 years ago. I wasn't able to join him because of my eyesight, but I watched it later at home. Better technologies and affluent funding made the battle scenes vivid and thrilling, but the love story only distracted audiences attention from the war and ensnared them in the confusion of the gist of the movie. I decided to watch Tora!Tora!Tora! after it, and Gang joined me in reviewing the Midway later. Wars are a combined result of commanders' intelligence, combat effectiveness and luck. If Japan was too lucky to have the US ignore all the clues and attacked the Pearl Harbor, then the US was also lucky enough to have Japan send out a broken reconnaissance and sunk three carriers in five minutes by the Midway. But no matter which side wins, thousands of lives were killed and millions of tax payers' money were burned in bombs.

It was late when we landed in San Francisco. Gang's flatmate happened to be around and picked us from the airport. I got my new pair of glasses.YES! San Francisco at night looks so clear and beautiful.

When I look back to my one-week trip to Hawaii. It's like a dream - partly because I couldn't see things clearly as if I were dreaming, partly because the view was simply too good to be true. I'd give Hanauma Bay my No.1 experience in Hawaii, and the Volcanoes Park No.2. These two make Hawaii quite worthy of it. On our way to Hawaii, we met a guy on the plane who used to live in Monterey but moved to Big Island a few years ago. He obviously enjoys living by the sea and leads a vacation-like lifestyle. I'm not sure if I'm that into nature - I may complain about the inconvenience of living on a island as well as the high price there; but still, I do envy him.

At Volcanoes Park

At Sandy Beach
At Lapakahi State Historical Park

At USS Missouri
At Waikiki Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment