Sunday, October 28, 2012

A Car Accident

My car was hit when a Civic tried to overtake me from the left. The driver drove so fast that her car caught up from the behind soon and forced to change the lane before fully overtaking me, leaving scratches and a dent on the left side of my new Honda.

We've maintained a great driving record since moving to the US, and no accident has ever been reported. The result was that neither Gang nor I knew what to do after the accident happened. I called 911, and was suggested to exchange our insurance information with the driver and report to my insurance company. So we got the insurance information and the driver license number done, and took pictures of scratches on each car. The young lady seemed to be driving her parents' car, whose insurance was under her parents' names and expired three days. I contacted my insurance company and was told that because today is Sunday no one was there to provide service. Reluctantly we let the young driver go. And just before we were about to leave, Gang saw a police car coming. We stopped the car, and asked the policeman for advice to handle issues like this. He said the same thing: let the insurance company handle this.

Things look surprisingly simple. There was no shouting at each other or complaints. Both parties were busy making phone calls, writing down information and taking photos. Thanks to iPhone which makes all these things very easy. But for sure driver license should not be issued to careless young drivers like this. I don't know how the auto insurance company with handle this - since it is difficult to find witnesses for what happened this afternoon, I have no idea about how they could figure things out. But at least we've experienced one more thing in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment