Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I Got My Mum an iPad

I never realized how popular Apple products are until my mum talked to me about iPhone. She had been using a dumb phone since 2002 and hardly thought of replacing it until my stepfather Joop bought a smart phone. I asked her if she'd like a smart phone, and she said yes. First I ordered a Xiaomi Phone in China, which was thought very highly of by some of our friends. However the shopping experience with Xiaomi turned out to be a disaster. The couriers refused to deliver the phone to my mom's apartment, instead he insisted her picking the phone somewhere more than one-hour away. I finally cancelled the order after I checked the package and found out it had been delivered ten times but never succeeded in delivery for "reasons unknown".

After a few discussion with my mum, I decided to get her an iPhone instead. Iphone was still expensive in China. Luckily Gang was about to travel to China for a conference. Therefore we bought an iPhone 5 in the US and had Gang take it back to China as a gift for my mum. The iPhone 5 we bought was about the same price as the Xiaomi Phone in China, but it's simply much better. My mum never brings her laptop around since she got the iPhone. She uses iPhone to check emails, read news, play games, watch shows and download novels, etc; and she checks wifi availability when she books hotels or trains. Anyway I don't know what she will do without her phone. I once asked her how Joop likes his phone, and my mum looked very proud: "Not too bad, but mine is much better!"

I started to sell my iPad to her after I found she spent most of her time with the tiny screen of her iPhone. At the beginning, she didn't seem to be impressed, considering iPad as a bigger and less convenient iPhone. Then one day she decided to try some games on the iPad, and found a few Mahjong Apps. Since then I don't see her playing with iPhone any more, and I'm not able to play with my pad either. I ordered an iPad online, which will arrive around Thanksgiving. Before then, I'm stuck with my laptop.


No comments:

Post a Comment