Wednesday, August 22, 2012

We are not the Worst

Before graduation, all the MPA'12 went to Blairstown for a weekend. Two years ago, we went on our first group trip there right after the math camp and got acquainted with each other. There we were again, and as a retrospection of the last two years, we were suggested to spend an hour talking about what we had learned at Princeton.

There were about eight people in my group, each talking about the benefits they'd received from WWS: friendship, new ideas, quan skills, etc. Then it was my turn.

"I've learned that we are not the worst." I said, as the only Chinese student in the program, "I thought Chinese government is terrible, but now it's just a typical corrupting and inefficient government in a developing country, no worse than the others."

Everyone burst into laugh. "How does that come?" One of them asked.

Thousands of words ran through my head at that moment. "To put it short, I read a lot of stories on the abuse of government power: people are executed without trial or evidence, dissidents are arrested without warrant, and private property is expropriated without permission from courts. Human rights abuses make me pessimistic about the future of my country. However after I took classes here, I read stories about other BRICS, about Latin America and Africa, and then I realized China was not alone. All the problems we have are also typical in other countries. I must thank Princeton for showing me the world." I shrugged.

Other people in my group couldn't stop laughing. "Oh Keqin, that's so funny!" One of my friends who is also interested in democratization cheered, "Should I moan at losing a determined reformist in China?"

"No worries about that," I replied, "I'm just saying that we are equally bad."

I was wrong. After finishing the reports on Kenya and Ghana today, I believe China is actually much better. Despite the huge income gap, a poorly established legal system, bloody suppression of dissidents and political scandals, China provides some level of health, education to its citizens. A nine-year compulsory education is implemented since 1980s; and vaccinations are provided to most new born babies, reducing the infant mortality to a very low level. Economies, though fiercely criticized, have achieved fast growing rates in decades, and provide many job opportunities - though not enough - to young people. In comparison, even mid-income countries like Brazil should be shamed of its shabby infrastructure and slow government; let alone Kenya and Ghana, both of which cannot even provide enough positions for half of the young population in the job market.

I probably should be thankful to the fast development in China, which also reveals the problems deeply rooting in the political regime, and provide us with some pre-conditions of addressing these problems. If we "stay foolish, stay hungry" like our neighbors in North Korea, no one may even think about the problems or dare to talk about reforms. Now as our basic needs for living are mostly met, we have some education to think, some nutrition to work, and some places to make changes. Yes we are facing big challenges, but at least we acquire some tools. I used to be suspicious of the modern theory of democracy discussed in 501, but now I have different opinions.

Inclined to be a pessimist for most of the time, I'm happy to gain some confidence by looking down. (not good, not good~) There is a zigzag warning ahead, but it's fine - we've got a good car.

No comments:

Post a Comment