Saturday, September 22, 2012

Iphone

I went to Berkeley Eye Center for my first eye exam in the US. It took me two and a half hours to finish and eye exam, chose frame and lenses for my new glasses. I must admit I didn't expect it would take so long before I went there, otherwise I would have eaten some snacks before going. Later the doctor dripped a few eye-drops which helped her better check my eyes, but made myself unable to see things clearly for hours. After a two-year graduation school, my eyes are getting weaker, and my glasses are getting stronger. I finally  ordered a new pair of glasses in an optical store nearby, which is expected to be ready in two weeks. The new glasses are still expensive after insurance, but I guess it's probably the cheapest I can get in the US.

OK, that's just a few nagging. What I really want to say is: "Apple Map, you suck!" I totally lost my way to the eye center following the ios6 map on my iphone: it simply gave me a wrong location! Then I needed to open Google Map through Chrome and located the eye center there. This time, it was right. But I didn't know how to find "route" on Chrome, so I had to memorize the location on Google Map and dropped a pin at a similar location on Apple Map so that I could find the "route from my current location to destination". I finally made my way to the eye center, after walking under the hot Californian sunshine for an hour. Oh iphone, you're embarrassing yourself. I wouldn't even update my ios had I knew how terrible the Apple Map is. Now I only wish Google Map can be found in App Store soon.

When I went back, my flatmate happily showed me his newly arrived iphone5. And he's been talking to siri all night, looking for nearby restaurants and UPS. His friend, who ordered iphone on the same day with him and waited at home for its delivery for the whole day, unfortunately missed the delivery because the mailman knocked at the wrong door. She didn't wait for a second delivery, but rented a car to fetch iphone5 from UPS. Later tonight my flatmate shared some tricks on playing ipad, such as flipping apps with four fingers and closing apps with five. I again found Apple a great company and iphone/ipad epoch-making products. In contrast, its outrageous replacement of Google Map is not that intolerable as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment