Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Angel and Devil

Ruiwen visited me today (Ruiwen, did you see? I'm writing about you!) from New York during her trip to the bay area. There was a lecture on energy in the afternoon, and Gang called me to invite Ruiwen to the lecture. I told Ruiwen if she went to the lecture, I'd take a nap on the grass when waiting for her. Finally Ruiwen decided to join me in lying on the grass rather than sitting in the hall alone. Later we joked about this, referring it as a dispute between an angel and a devil, with Gang playing the former role and me the later one.

I can't help notice that when Gang and I disagree with each other, I'm always the "devil":

(Scenery One)
"Do you want to take a walk with me?" He asked after dinner.
"No, I'm too full." I answered while touching my full belly.
"Come on, I think you need some exercise."
"I know, but I don't want to take off my pajama."

(Scenery Two)
"I think you should go to talk to alumni to get a job, not play Settlers with computers." He said.
"OK, I'm just lazy." I said when clicking the "trade" button.

(Scenery Three)
"I've had enough pork ribs tonight." Gang said.
"OK, I will have another piece."
"You've already had five."
"OK,OK, this will be the last one." Of course it was not.
...
It's true that Gang has better self-control than me.

It's not that I don't have any self-control, but I always find an angel and a devil fight fiercely deep in my heart. Sometimes I'm tired of playing the role of a good student, or a diligent profession, who has great self-discipline and gets everything organized. Instead sometimes I'd be happily escape from pressures or obligations, and indulge my lazy, weak nature. When I'm facing challenges, I need to energize every cell in my body to overcome them. I love myself at that time, smart and competent; but after that, devil takes my body again and I can be as lazy as a sloth - a cute animal that spends 20 out of 24hrs per day on sleeping and dies mainly because it fails to hold tree branches when sleeping. Sometimes when I look at Gang, I feel like looking into a mirror, but on the reverse side: I simply can't behave that well.

I don't know if it's equally difficult for everyone to fight against desires; at least to me the war is like a mud in which I'm mired down. I need to keep a balance between my "angel" part and "devil" part to avoid driving myself crazy. When the devil is satisfied more or less, it allows me more energy to please the angel; and when the angel is satisfied, it gives me justification to spoil the devil a little bit. But how hard it is to make both of them happy! People talk about indulging their nature while achieving success by doing what they like, and therefore making the angel and the devil agree with each other. But we all know that's rare. Even if you can make a living on something that happens to be your interests, you can't really make achievements until you've acquired relevant skills after all the tough trainings, e.g. no matter how much you like music, you're unlikely to be a great violinist before you've done all the tedious practices for years.

The angel gives you an expected pleasure, while the devil gives the pleasure that can be cashed out right now. Which do you prefer?

10 comments:

  1. This happens to me too! Matt has so much more self control and discipline than me. Like, if there is a box of cookies, he will eat one cookie and stop. But, I will eat the whole box because I can see it. It's like that marshmallow video we watched in 502 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, so true, we have high discount rate!

      How's everything? It's time to plan another get-together:)

      Delete
    2. Aww you two.. I'm so glad I got to see both of you! You have high discount rate? Great! I'll buy things from you!!

      Delete
    3. Ruiwen - I like the punchline:)

      Delete
  2. Hello you guys! Ruiwen directed me to this entry, and I couldn't agree more. On my end, I think the devil has been winning out big time lately. :) Hope you're both doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and for what it's worth, I give a big thumbs up to lying in the grass instead of attending the lecture. Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Mary! We were talking about you on lying on the grass. You're so missed!!

      Delete
  4. Mary is equally bad as Keqin! That's how we ended up watching so many Broadway shows and eating so many wonderful meals when she visited New York recently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be a reason for why bad people always become good friends with Ruiwen. How do we say that in China? 近朱者赤, hahaha!

      Delete
  5. I think for us it's 近猪者吃!

    ReplyDelete