Wednesday, December 12, 2012

2012 Review (1)

Ten years ago, when I was a sophomore at Peking University working on two bachelor degrees, I wondered how I would look like in ten years. I thought by then I would have received my bachelor degrees, probably with an Master as well, and should have built my career as a civil servant for a few years, therefore I might be expecting a promotion by the end of 2012. Now when I looked back what I did this year, I have to admit it's not quite the same what I had imagined before, it's much more challenging, uncertain and adventurous.

Since I left the Chinese Democratic League (CDL), I knew I probably would never return to the same career track even if I still work on policy issues in the future. I was right - now I focus on the technical skills of tackling policy issues such as impact evaluation and project design, instead of the political part such as decision-making processes. In January 2012, instead of a busy month writing working reports at CDL before the Spring Festival, I was working on two course papers, a group report and a final exam for my third semester at Princeton. I stayed in California for the entire winter vacation except a three-day trip back to Princeton for the International Trade Policy final exam. Before I headed for the East Coast again in February, I had already spent one and a half months with Gang - the longest time I had spent with Gang since my acceptance to Princeton.

The last semester was quick and tough. I had a difficult time in choosing courses, most of which were so tempting. After a busy shopping week, I settled down with Impact Evaluation, Development Econ, Economics of Welfare Society and Risk Assessment. I remembered when I handed my "coursework sheet" with adviser's signature to the Graduate Program Office, Gene said "this is your last coursework sheet", which did make my a little emotional at the moment. The semester was challenging as all the previous ones, but I still had a lot of fun by hanging out with friends at Maggie: dinner parties, crafting nights, board game nights, etc. Since late April, I had to focus more on Qulify Exam2, which lasted 9 hours and included five econ courses. After a day-long torture, I met Gang at Princeton Junction Station. He passed his PhD qualify exam in April, and was happy to take a month vacation with me in May.

That was probably my happiest time in the last two years - I finally finished all the coursework at Princeton, and got the confidence of embracing my beautiful future after graduation. We traveled a little bit in NY and PA, visiting Amish farms, watching Broadway shows and driving along Gettysburg battlefields. In sunny afternoons, we walked around the Princeton campus, sitting on the grass and looking at birds hovering the river by my apartment. At night, some friends came over to play games or hang out. Lifs was idle and slow. Some friends had received job offers and were packing for relocation; some were still looking for opportunities around. But everyone was enjoying the last moment of Princeton.

Keqin, Gettysburg, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment